Piksters size 00 is an ultrafine interdental brush, the smalles size within the Piksters range means it is perfect for younger patients, those with tighter spaces between teeth, and customers who need to apply medication to the roots of teeth.
- The front teeth do not require the brush head to be bent. Insert the brush head in line with the plastic handle.
Choose a size that inserts without force. The correct size will fit easily.
- Insert the brush slowly with a gentle twist or wriggling action - this will ease the brush into the space so that the wire does not buckle as much. If the wire buckles, discard the brush. Once buckled, it cannot be straightened properly.
- Try to minimise any bending of the wire at the joint with the handle (see Pictures 5-6). In and out movements are fine but not bending.
- When using the brush between the back teeth, access will generally be easier if the brush head is bent over. Use this technique to make the bend as smooth and round as possible and reduce stress concentration: use one finger to push the tip of the brush head (not the base) over to an angle of approximately 45º to 90º, preferably once only. Pushing the tip will avoid a sharp bend where the wire meets the plastic handle, and reduce the stress concentration and likelihood of breakage in the metal.
- Do not recap a bent brush more than 4 times as this will re-bend the wire and increase chances of breakage. Piksters are reusable and can last many days if they are not bent excessively. Simply rinse it out under water like a normal toothbrush. The cost per use of a proper quality brush can therefore be less than other disposable 'fake' brush look-a likes.
If you are a regular IDB user, you can expect an IDB to break at some point. Usually they break where the wire meets the handle and the brush portion can be left between your teeth.